Two late penalties saw Emley beaten in a “smash and grab raid” but assistant manager Steve Nicholson saw plenty of positives.

The Pewits are now seven matches without a win after going down 4-2 to Maltby Main at the Fantastic Media Welfare Ground on Saturday.

Emley had pulled it back to 2-2 but were scuppered late on by two penalties, both scored by Jonathan Williams. Mike Fish, on his debut after a move from Golcar United, scored Emley’s first with Alex Metcalfe adding the second.

Immediately after the game Nicholson admitted he felt “dejected and gutted” but said there were positives to take from the performance.

“We controlled the game for a good 80 minutes but it’s about not making errors at one end and putting the ball in the back of the net at the other,” he said.

“We have created chances, we have dominated midfield and played some lovely football. You can probably count nine out of the 11 who have all had good games but, unfortunately, it’s about scoring at one end and not conceding at the other. Ultimately it’s results that count.”

Thompson said the Maltby Main management described their victory as a “smash and grab raid.” Thompson added: “That tells you most of the story.”

Emley went behind in the 15th minute as Maltby’s Reggie Waud had the beating of the home side’s defence and slotted home past an exposed Sam Kelly for the opener.

Emley bounced back though and scored a quick equaliser, after the initial shot was blocked, the ball was rifled into the bottom corner by former Brighouse, Mossley and Golcar striker Fish on his debut.

The Pewits piled the pressure on the Maltby goal but it was the visitors who scored next in the 35th minute. Maltby’s Waud went to retrieve a ball and was fouled by Callum Charlton. Emley’s Kelly made a good save from the resulting free-kick however the ball was bundled over the line through a pack of bodies, 

The Pewits went in at half-time 2-1 down but would continue the fight in the second half. Emley levelled again in the 78th minute after a good move saw Charlton make his way into the box. The ball then dropped to Metcalfe who nonchalantly backheeled into the net.

Just four minutes later Maltby took the lead again. The visitors broke down the field in a rare attack. A mistimed challenge inside the area saw the referee award a penalty which Williams converted calmly to make it 3-2 to the away team.  

Another penalty was awarded to Maltby in stoppage time. Williams again stepped up to make it 4-2 and complete the “smash and grab.”

Emley still sit in 17th place in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division table on 24 points. Next Saturday they take on Sherwood Colliery with the game kicking off at 3pm. 

Gallery of images by: MARK PARSONS