By Martin Eastwood

Another five-star performance from Emley AFC saw them win 5-1 at Tadcaster Albion but thoughts were with striker James Walshaw who was taken to hospital with a nasty injury.

Walshaw was hurt shortly after coming on as a substitute. The veteran forward was stretchered off and play was halted while the air ambulance landed on the field.

It wasn’t needed and Walshaw was taken for treatment by road ambulance. He needed stitches but there were no broken bones and Walshaw could be back in a month’s time.

On the field, Emley fell behind after a defensive mix-up after just five minutes but they soon got themselves back into the game and quickly had the three points in the bag.

Ruben Jerome equalised when Sam Pashley’s effort was blocked on the line and Jerome smashed home from close range. The Pewits went 2-1 up when they were awarded a penalty for handball and Joe Clegg despatched the spotkick.

From then on the visitors were in complete control and they added a third early in the second half. Iyrwah Gooden beat his man down the left and delivered a perfect ball for Paul Walker to head home.

Gooden then made it 4-1 when a stray pass across the Tadcaster box left defender and keeper stranded and Gooden couldn’t believe his luck as he tapped into an empty net.

Walshaw then replaced Jerome but following Walshaw’s first, and only touch of the ball, he stayed down in obvious pain and play was immediately stopped.

After lengthy treatment from medics from both clubs, Walshaw was stretchered off to a warm round of applause and play eventually resumed with Charlie Barks coming on.

Most people’s thoughts were with the Emley striker but, within a couple of minutes, Emley struck for a fifth time and a wonderful goal it was too.

Following a superb challenge in midfield by Clegg, he released Gooden who crossed halfway before looking up and finding Nathan Curtis on the right, who took a touch then blasted past the keeper to seal the win.

There then followed another lengthy stoppage as the pitch was cleared to allow the air ambulance to land.

News emerged that Walshaw had been taken to hospital by road ambulance and so the helicopter left and the final 10 minutes or so were finally played out as the darkness descended over Tadcaster.

Emley are now fourth, five points behind leaders Campion with three games in hand. The Pewits go for a fifth straight league win when Handsworth visit the Fantastic Media Welfare Ground on Tuesday (October 17) at 7.45.