By Richard Sykes

Huddersfield RUFC scored four second half tries to secure a consolation bonus point on their road trip to Hull but it was very much a case of shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted.

Hull produced 31 unanswered points in a dominant first half and hit Field with five more tries in the second – four of which came in a blistering 10-minute spell after Lewis Quinn had opened Field’s account with their first try just after the break.

Huddersfield went down 60-26 and head coach Rob Anderson said: “We made a promising start but didn’t convert and when our scrum came under pressure the momentum shifted.

“With a score to chase our mindset changed at half-time and it was pleasing to see how the team responded.

“The forwards created a great platform from which the backs launched some incredible attacking shape and plays – some of the best of the season.”

A penalty try put Hull seven points up after seven minutes after Field collapsed a powerful driving scrummage close to their line.

Tries by Hull full-back Harrison Astley and scrum-half James Naylor followed within the first half hour, the latter coming after an impressive, tackle breaking run by centre Alexander Heard.

Two conversions and a penalty by Reece Dean made the score 24-0 approaching the interval. The tally was increased by the bonus point try from centre Peter Hudson-Kowaleweicz following a quick tap penalty and the extras by Dean, who rounded off the half with his conversion.

Field started the second half in determined mood and their early pressure was rewarded when Quinn crossed for a try which was converted by Lewis Workman.

Hull soon regained control between the 50th and 60th minutes. Astley crossed for a corner-flag try, swiftly followed by pacy wingman Jamie Shaul who latched on to a neat inside pass. Tries by prop Charlie Beech and lock Paulos Latu brought an end to Hull’s devastating spell.

Workman scored Field’s second try on 68 minutes. Fly-half Joe Potter fashioned a deft crossfield kick which found Josh Walker who cut inside and fed Workman on an outside loop, the full-back successfully converting his own score.

The additional points were cancelled out five minutes later by Hudson-Kowaleicz’s second converted try of the game.

Huddersfield grabbed two well taken late tries. Walker got the first. Once again he was the recipient of a cross-field kick. Ed Barber secured good turnover ball and produced the delivery to enable the scrum-half cross the white wash. The final try was scored by lock Luke Pearson.

Next week Huddersfield host second-placed Rotherham Titans. The game will bring a return to Lockwood Park for former Field coach, Gaz Lewis, who is now assistant coach at Titans.

Last season’s highest points scorer for Field, Will Milner, now wears the Titans’ 10 shirt.