By Martin Eastwood

A brace from Dan Naidole – including an equaliser five minutes from time – saw Golcar United and Emley AFC fight out a 3-3 draw at the Skye Direct Stadium on Tuesday night.

In a HD postcode ‘derby’ that lived up to the pre-match billing, the match swung either way as the two unbeaten neighbours exchanged punches in the pouring rain.

Golcar were twice in front through Kayle Price and Naidole before Emley – still with hopes of a play-off spot – pegged them back with goals from Steve Smith and Paul Walker. Sam Pashley put Emley in front at 3-2 only for Naidole to deny them late on.

The Weavers ended Emley’s nine-match winning streak but the two in-form sides stretched their unbeaten runs to 10 and 11 games respectively.

Honours even after the HD ‘derby.’

In front of 672 fans, Price broke the deadlock in the 18th minute when he found room for a shot which took a deflection off an Emley defender and looped over keeper Dec Lambton.

Emley equalised 10 minutes later when right-back Smith picked the ball up just over halfway and proceeded to head towards the Golcar area. He suddenly let fly with a left foot shot which beat the keeper and rolled into the bottom corner to make it 1-1. 

Golcar were back in front shortly after when Naidole headed home from a long free-kick making it 2-1 at the break.

The Pewits hit back on the hour when Iyrwah Gooden worked his way down the left wing. He played a ball into Walker who took a touch on his right foot before he smashed a shot beyond Golcar keeper Harry Stead to level the score at 2-2.

It got better for Emley as Pashley put them ahead for the first time with a downward header from a corner in the 73rd minute.

Pewits’ fans thought the turnaround was complete but that man Naidole – a one-time Emley player – wasn’t finished.

With five minutes left Golcar thought they’d equalised when Lambton pulled off a fantastic close range save. However, from the resulting corner Naidole bagged his second of the night and it was the home team’s turn to celebrate.

Both sides looked for a winner. Emley had their chance when Donae Lawrence played a ball into Joe Kenny who blasted wide and Alex Metcalfe then did the same a minute or so later.

In the final minute Golcar had a penalty shout turned down much to the dismay of their fans behind that goal.

The two sides will do it all again in the semi-final of the League Cup on April 21.

Next up for Emley is the visit of second-placed Winterton Rangers on Saturday (March 25). Meanwhile, on the same day, Golcar host Knaresborough Town and, as it’s Non-League Day, admission at the Skye Direct Stadium is just £1.

Scroll through this gallery of images by Huddersfield Hub photographer SEAN DOYLE