By Callum Petterson and Steven Downes

Joe Skarz proved to be the match-winner as Golcar United survived a scare to hold out for a much-needed first win in nine league matches.

There was relief all round the Skye Direct Stadium as Golcar secured a 3-2 win over Thackley AFC to claim a first three-point haul since the end of September.

Kayle Price, Jake Barrett and Skarz put the home side 3-0 up but two second half goals threatened to spoil Golcar’s day. The Weavers held out to stretch the gap between them and the relegation zone to four points.

On the victory player-coach Skarz said: “It feels good to win obviously but over the past few weeks we’ve actually played better than what we have there, and lost but that’s football.

“The win was the most important thing, though, no matter how it came. We got another decision against us to award them a penalty to make it 3-1 and then automatically they are in the ascendancy but we dug in and held on.” 

On scoring what proved to be the winning goal, Skarz said: “It doesn’t matter who scores. We are a team and for me it’s just nice to contribute up there.

“When we get a free-kick in that area I back myself to put good quality in with pace and if everyone misses it, if it’s on target, it’s very hard for the keeper to react and save it.”

Joe Skarz. Pic by: SEAN DOYLE

Golcar took the lead within the opening minute. Price went through one-on-one with the Thackley goalkeeper and calmly dinked the ball over his head to continue his fine goalscoring form this season.

Golcar keeper Harry Stead kept the visitors at bay with some fine stops, the best of the bunch being from a Thackley free-kick which he strongly palmed over in the 6th minute. 

The Weavers went into the break still leading 1-0, however the home side wouldn’t have to wait long to grab a second goal, with Barrett finding the bottom left corner from the edge of the box, in the 53rd minute.

Four minutes later the Skarz free-kick evaded everyone, including the keeper, and went in at the far post.

With 20 minutes remaining, Golcar conceded a penalty and Tom Greaves pulled a goal back. Kieran Suddards set up an anxious finish when he made it 3-2 in the 86th minute but Golcar weren’t to be denied.

It was Golcar’s first win in the league since September 27 when they beat Bottesford Town 3-0.