Words: Richard Sykes – Images: Ray Morris

Lewis Workman put Huddersfield RUFC ahead with an early score but title contenders Hull ran in seven tries for a comprehensive 49-12 victory at Lockwood Park in National 2 North.

The first quarter was evenly contested with both teams producing promising passages of play and holding their own in the setpiece but by the half hour mark Hull had gained momentum.

The former National 1 side scored three tries before the break leaving their hosts with a steep uphill battle in the second period.

Huddersfield’s director of rugby Neil Ryan was disappointed with the performance and outcome and said: “We can’t let teams have so much possession. It felt like all we did was defend and that was the problem.

“Our tackle technique and organisation was poor and this needs to be addressed. We caused no problems at the breakdown and allowed them quick ball which gave them a platform.

“We gave debuts to a couple of lads and the lack of experience told. We did score two great tries and we will go again next week.”

Workman’s score came on five minutes from behind a solid Field scrum on half way. A nifty miss-move allowed the outside centre to cut an inside line and grub the ball in goal and race through to dot down for an unconverted try.

 Hull took a one-point lead with a couple of Reece Dean penalties, with Field falling foul of the new high tackle law, the second offence leading to a yellow for Field No8 William Hammond.

Hull’s first try came not long afterwards, lock Billy Addy powering over from close range from a 5 metre lineout. Fly-half Reece Dean cruised in five minutes later after a right wing break by flanker Mosese Nasilasila who scored the third try after good build up play from halfway. Two of the tries were converted by Dean.

The second quarter, however, was not one sided. Field looked composed and purposeful with ball in hand. Finlay Stewart (below) made a threatening 50 metre break from his own 22 and good team work took them close, only to be thwarted by a lost lineout.

Huddersfield found themselves defending after the break but did so well. Kian Stewart at full-back showed himself to be an effective last line, hauling down Addy when he looked certain to score and the Field pack managed to halt a strong Hull drive from a throw-in close to their line.

It wasn’t until 10 minutes into the half that Hull managed to get their try bonus point, Nasilasila touching down after a very powerful scrummage. Dean added the extras.

After the score Hull’s backs clicked into gear delivering a dazzling spell which ended with a try for winger Harrison Astley which Dean converted from wide out. Replacement prop Jamie Major got try number five with the forwards creating the pressure for the score from a driving maul.

Unfazed by the setbacks, Field produced a positive response. They worked the ball patiently through the phases and eventually pressured Hull into conceding a penalty on their 22.

The ball from the lineout was mauled in field and hooker Ethan Myers was driven over for a try close to the posts. Replacement fly-half Kieran Nicholson kicked the conversion to make the score 42-12 with time running out.

The visitors had the final word. With the clock on 80 minutes another scrum close to the Field line led to a try by prop Kym Russell with Dean’s conversion being followed immediately by the final whistle.

Field take on two more of the title contenders in their next two matches. They travel to Rotherham Titans on Saturday September 23 and host Leeds Tykes a week later. The two former Premiership teams currently lie first and second in the National 2 North table with 100% winning records.

Huddersfield: Stewart K; Foreman; Workman; Nash; Stewart F; Collins; Wilson; Thompson; Myers; Whitfield; Dawson; Barnard; Quinn; Haywood; Hammond. Replacements: Rollins; Moore; Smith; Nicholson; Walker.