A team of walkers from Huddersfield-based accountancy firm Simpson Wood battled thunderstorms, wind and rain to complete the Yorkshire Three Peaks for a great cause.

The 12-strong team of colleagues, friends and family – and two dogs – climbed Pen-y-Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough to raise money for Slaithwaite-based Ruddi’s Retreat, which provides caravan holidays for children with serious illnesses or disabilities.

The team has beaten its target of £2,500 and the fundraising has reached almost £4,000. Donations can still be made.

The magnificent team were: Anna Short, George Birkby, Hayden Rose, Jack Leach, James Jennings, Kerri Carter, Luke Mudd, Matt Beasty and Tom Johnson along with friends and relatives Elliot, Joe and James and the two dogs Vinnie and Cookie!

A spokesman for Simpson Wood said: “Unfortunately, the weather wasn’t kind and the walkers faced thunderstorms, wind and rain, which was particularly fierce on the third peak, Ingleborough.

“Although describing themselves as broken, every member of the team completed the challenge – and they completed it because they were a strong team! We are extremely proud of how they all supported each other throughout the day.”

The day started as the team set off early to begin the ascent of Pen-y-Ghent at 8am. After completing the first peak and walking to Whernside the team met up with managing director Mark Fielding who provided them with supplies and joined them for the middle peak, wearing his 1989 Liverpool away socks and noting that there was only one member of the team older than his socks!

The team reached the summit by around 2pm still looking reasonably fresh having survived thunderstorms on the ascent. By the time the descent was complete the rain was closing in but the team was determined to continue on to Ingleborough.

Already feeling tired and aching they battled on through as the elements got fiercer with the wind picking up and the rain becoming torrential.

Ingleborough was a blur for many of the team who were solely focused on completing the challenge by this point.

The full team completed the challenge together at 7.45pm – in under 12 hours and Mr Fielding praised their efforts and said: “I am blown away by what they have achieved.

“It was such a difficult challenge in these conditions. The team have been truly amazing and I don’t think anyone can ever imagine what they have all gone through.”

The donation page is still open at bit.ly/SW3Peaks