Words: Andy Wells Pictures: Mark Parsons

Ryan John came off the bench in Robin Hood country to cut down Sherwood Colliery’s winning run and gave AFC Emley a well-deserved first win of the season.

There was no question of highway robbery as a double from the impressive George Doyle set up a 3-2 victory which sent Emley back up the M1 as very merry men.

Doyle has impressed this season since joining the first team from the under 23s. He was the difference between the two sides on the day along with Man of the Match Max Tweddle, who ran the midfield.

Emley took the lead in the 15th minute when Doyle and Tweddle combined. Tweddle’s perfectly-weighted through ball allowed Doyle to run through and slot home. 

The lead, however, lasted all of three minutes as the home side equalised through Ryan Ingram before another Sherwood ‘goal’ was ruled out for off-side.

Emley fought back and Doyle scored again in the 34th minute. A long cross was inch perfect at the feet of Doyle. He controlled the ball and smashed in a quality finish to make it 2-1 to Emley at the break.

READ MORE: Former Huddersfield Town legend Malcolm Brown on playing against George Best and being managed by Jack Charlton

It was pretty even at the start of the second half but Sherwood make the breakthrough to level again in the 70th minute when Ingram struck for the second time to make it 2-2.

Emley then created the crucial chance that would ultimately win them the game. With just over 10 minutes left to play Harrison Blakey took control of the ball in midfield and put the ball through to “super sub” Ryan John who lashed a shot into the bottom right corner to spark celebrations. 

In the closing minutes Sherwood put Emley under pressure and keeper Sam Kelly was a late hero with two great saves to protect the points.

READ MORE: Former Emley striker Ash Flynn hits a second hattrick of the season for unbeaten Golcar United

The first was a mid-range attempt that was almost certainly going in which Kelly tipped away for a corner. The second was a well-struck shot rifled towards the bottom left corner that a full-stretch Kelly again got a hand to.

The first team next play Chadderton at the Fantastic Media Welfare Ground on Saturday September 25 in the FA Vase Trophy. This will be followed by the Pewits hosting a league match on Tuesday September 28 against Handsworth.

Scroll through our gallery of pictures taken by Emley photographer MARK PARSONS at Sherwood Colliery.