Knaresborough Town became the latest victims of Emley’s upturn in form as they were hammered 4-0 at the Fantastic Media Welfare Ground. Joe Jagger once again made an outstanding contribution by scoring two goals. 

It’s now three straight wins and three consecutive clean sheets for Richard Tracey’s men as they work their way up the Northern Counties East League Premier Division table after a dismal run of no wins in eight matches.

It means Emley now move up to 15th in the table, 14 points clear of the second relegation spot and can finally start looking up the table rather than over their shoulders. 

Tracey was delighted with the victory and performance and said: “I think we have looked pretty comfortable in the last three games.

“I said to the lads that whilst the performance was good, imagine what the score would have been if we had played to our max level and took all our chances. 

“I think getting the first goal in games is massive because you then aren’t chasing it. Some teams have got that first goal and then sat on that lead instead of coming out to get a second because they know we have been playing well. So I’d you get your nose in front it doesn’t let your opponent do that. 

“I’ve been really pleased with the players’ response over the last few weeks and to get the goals against Knaresborough was great.”

The Pewits were dominant and dangerous throughout the game and gave Knaresborough’s defence nightmares.

Despite having numerous chances without the ball hitting the back of the net, Emley’s dominance finally turned into a goal in the 36th minute. Callum Charlton found himself in space and, after drawing the keeper, he slotted the ball past him into the bottom corner. It remained 1-0 at the break. 

The second period took a while to get going but Emley eventually hit their stride. Despite scoring four goals it was Emley defender Niall Heaton who earned the Man of the Match award helping ensure a clean sheet on his debut.

Emley scored their second goal after George Doyle was fouled in the box. The ref had no option but to award a penalty and Jagger made it 2-0 on the hour mark.

Emley sealed the game with a decisive third 10 minutes from time. A great ball in from the right caused confusion and despite Doyle’s shot looking goalbound, it was turned home by the unfortunate Craig Hall for an own goal.

With time ticking down and Emley with a comfortable lead, it became important to maintain another clean sheet which they did thanks to some calm defending from Heaton and Charlie Smith.

The game was finally put to bed in the 88th minute after an initial attack was dealt with. The Knaresborough defence failed to clear the ball and it was recycled to Jagger, who took aim and fizzed one into the bottom corner to complete his brace. 

Emley then saw out the remainder of the game and have now only conceded one goal in eight halves of football.

Gallery of images by: SEAN DOYLE