Words: Martin EastwoodImage: Sean Doyle

Iyrwah Gooden scored a hat-trick as Emley AFC cashed in on their reinstatement in the FA Cup.

An administrative error by Avro in fielding an ineligible player saw Emley’s conquerors in the Extra Preliminary Round expelled from the competition.

That meant the Pewits were back in and had a midweek trip to Merseyside to face higher-division opposition in Lower Breck FC who play on an artificial surface at Anfield Sports & Community Centre.

Emley turned in a dominant display to come away with a 5-1 victory and the hosts simply had no answer to Emley’s power, pace and movement.

Gooden put Emley ahead in the 27th minute when his quick feet left a defender helpless and he stroked home into the bottom corner.

Emley doubled the lead six minutes later when Gooden was brought down in the box and James Walshaw despatched the penalty.

Breck responded with a spell of pressure and Dec Lambton was called into action to prevent a goal with a superb point blank save.

Gooden yet again showed his pace and skill, beating the defence and lofting a lovely cross onto the head of Joe Kenny who headed narrowly over.

Then, as half-time approached, the hosts got their goal, slightly controversial from an Emley point of view as Lambton appeared to have the ball in his hands but a sliding tackle from the home attacker dislodged it and he rolled it into an empty net.

Emley protested and Lambton was booked but the goal stood for 2-1 at the break.

The injustice spurred Emley at the start of the second half and they were rewarded again when a brilliant corner from Steve Smith was perfect for Walshaw to bury a powerful header to make it 3-1.

Breck saw the game slipping away and their frustration boiled over when a red card was shown to Luke Shephton for a high boot.

Emley were in charge against the 10 men and Gooden rounded off a comprehensive victory – and bagged a hat-trick – with two late goals.

A break from deep saw the striker power into the box and fire past the keeper to make it 4-1 in the 82nd minute.

Gooden completed his Man of the Match performance in the 90th minute when, with the Breck defence AWOL, he found himself through again and swept the ball home.

Emley now face another trip to Merseyside to take on Widnes FC in the first qualifying round on Saturday September 2.

But next up it’s the FA Vase when Sandbach United visit the Fantastic Media Welfare Ground on Sunday August 27 (3.00).