Huddersfield Town Women FC shared the points drawing 2-2 against Loughborough in the FA Women’s National League. Manager Glen Preston believes his side should have scored more on a day where Town’s enemy was the opposition woodwork. 

The game was fast paced from minute one and goals from Katie Stanley (12) and Mia Parry (48) for Town looked like giving the Terriers all three points. However, an equaliser for the visitors in the 88th minute meant the game ended in a draw. 

Town could have put the match to bed much earlier as Preston said: “It’s two points dropped. Loughborough play with a lot of heart and they never gave up but I think, ultimately, anyone who has watched that game knows we should have scored four or five goals.

“I think we hit the woodwork three times, to be fair they hit the woodwork too, but overall we paid the price because we hadn’t put the game to bed when we absolutely should have done.”

Town took the lead on the 12th minute when the ball was crossed into the Loughborough box. Stanley was quickest to react and guided the ball into the bottom corner.

The visitors could have equalised in the 30th minute. However, Town keeper Bethan Davies produced a magnificent save from a Loughborough spot kick to keep the scores level. 

Loughborough were awarded a second penalty just before the break. This time it was converted, putting the sides level at the break.

In the second half Town Women came out fast and eager to restore their lead, and just three minutes into the half they did just that. A great cross from Brittany Sanderson found Mia Parry, who climbed the highest to get on the end of it and head it down past the Loughborough ‘keeper to make it 2-1. 

Loughborough equalised in the 88th minute from a powerful strike which Davies couldn’t do anything about. That goal meant the game ended 2-2. 

Next up for the Town Women is a trip to Solihull Moors Stadium where they will take on Southampton next Sunday April 24 in the League Cup Final. 

Gallery of images by: MARK PARSONS