By Martin Eastwood

Four second half goals, including a brace from Ruben Jerome, put Emley AFC into the 4th round of the FA Vase for the first time in 11 seasons.

The Pewits defeated both the weather and West Didsbury & Chorlton as they ran out emphatic 4-0 winners on a stormy Saturday at the Fantastic Media Welfare Ground.

There was little between the teams in a goalless first half but there was a huge gulf in the second half as Emley dismantled their opponents from the NWCL to stretch their unbeaten run to 17 matches.

Within 10 minutes of the start of the second half Emley were ahead. Jake Kelly found space on the right, the cross in was deflected by a West defender, another West defender failed to clear with a header and the ball fell nicely for Alex Metcalfe to crash a left foot volley into the bottom corner.

Emley were on their way, and Metcalfe was eager for more. Within two minutes he smashed another shot goalwards but it was a yard or two wide of the upright.

Metcalfe and Kenny were in total control in midfield for Emley and the visitors had no answer but to keep fouling to break things up. It was another foul that led to Emley’s next chance, James Walshaw fired a 20-yard free kick over the bar.

Emley made it 2-0 in the 72nd minute when the ball was moved upfield to the left wing where Paul Walker looked up and curled a cross/shot towards the danger area.

The flight of the ball was misjudged by the keeper and the ball smashed off the far post and in. Whether Walker meant it or not it was certainly a cracking goal and one that probably finished West off.

Emley rounded off the victory with two goals from Jerome in the last six minutes. The first came from the penalty spot and then it was 4-0 in the dying seconds when Metcalfe burst his way through a couple of defenders before squaring for Jerome to tap home.

A visit from another NWCFL side, Charnock Richard, is the reward for the Pewits in the next round but next up is a NCEL Premier Division clash with Eccleshill United on Saturday December 16.