It took a dramatic penalty shoot-out – and no fewer than 28 spotkicks – to separate Huddersfield rivals Golcar United and Emley AFC in an epic League Cup semi-final on Friday night.

In a winner-takes-all tie, the game was deadlocked at 0-0 after 90 minutes and another 30 minutes of extra time.

In front of a 1,320 record crowd at Golcar’s Skye Direct Stadium, the two sides needed a penalty shoot-out to split them.

In the end it was Golcar who went through 13-12 after all 11 players, including both goalkeepers, tested their nerve from 12 yards.

Golcar skipper Dan Stocker missed the first penalty and gave first blood to Emley but after that the Weavers were on target every time. Eventually Emley missed for a second time and it was left to Golcar striker Kayle Price to smash home and put Golcar though to the final.

The Weavers will take on Winterton Rangers at the Keepmoat Stadium, home of Doncaster Rovers, on Tuesday May 2.

There was nothing between the sides during the game and all that was missing was a finishing touch. Emley will probably feel they were the ones to deserve the victory as they dominated large periods of the game as Joe Clegg, Paul Walker and Alex Metcalfe all had chances.

Emley keeper Dec Lambton pulled off a couple of great saves, Dan Naidole headed over for Golcar and sub Ned Dry went desperately close to snatching it late on for Emley when his effort grazed the outside of the post.

By the time Price won it for Golcar the clock had ticked around to 10.30pm and there were extraordinary scenes as the home fans celebrated in style.

On the drama of the win, Golcar joint boss Gav Connor said: “What a game! I feel drained of energy after that. I thought it was never going to end!

“It’s great to feel that we have another final to look forward to. It was a very cagey game and probably a very entertaining 0-0 for the neutral. It was end to end stuff. There were plenty of chances and, in fairness, both teams could have nicked the win.

“Emley are a good team and we have a lot of respect for them and Richard Tracey. They’ve had a fantastic season and we all knew that the game was going to be as tough as they always are. 

“We’ve played them three times and drawn three times, which tells you how tight the games between us are. The scenes at the end of the game will be remembered forever.

“It was a long night. I have never seen so many good penalties taken. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a shoot-out finish 13-12. I’ve certainly never been involved in one.

“At least now everyone can say they contributed to the shoot-out. It was also great to see that Dan Stocker could redeem himself from missing his first penalty. His second kick was the best of the night.”

Emley, meanwhile, still have a cup final to look forward to after a season in which they’ve finished third in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

The Pewits also head to the Keepmoat Stadium to take on Maltby Main in the Sheffield and Hallamshire County Cup Final on May 20. It’s a competition they’ve won eight times before.

Scroll through a gallery of images by Huddersfield Hub photographer SEAN DOYLE